Thursday, February 16, 2012

sleepy yet?

For most of us, sleep feels elusive- or like the best birthday present ever, depending on the week. The truth is, it's not just a coincidence. It's a trend. As children hit adolescence, the amount of sleep they get drastically decreases, and there are possible links between lower grades, bad lifestyle choices like smoking and binge drinking, and lack of sleep. Sometimes there isn't a lot we can do about it, because factors like the start time of school and the amount of homework we get take control of the situation for us. There's a reason it's hard to get up at 7 every morning to get to school: when we hit puberty, our circadian rhythms start to change, so we prefer to be awake at night rather than in the morning. If we really tried to go to sleep at a decent time, most of us would be able to, and more than likely our grades and health would soar. Here's the catch: soccer practice, play rehearsal, and homework are all against us, and so are the teachers whose circadian rhythms don't allow them to understand why it is we can't seem to stay awake in first-period seminars.

"Sleeping" by Ed Yourdon, 2008

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this post. I am definitely one of those people who wants more time to sleep, better yet, needs more time to sleep. After reading the study done on sleep schedules and daytime functioning in adolescents I was shocked when I read how much of a difference it could have on grades. It is crazy how only a few more minutes of sleep on the weekend or or staying up a few more minutes on school days could have such a huge affect on someone's academic performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Mallory stated, when I read the study I was astounded by how big of a difference a little bit more sleep could make on grades. I totally agree that the increasing number of extra-curricular activities and homework that go with entering high school is part of the reason why so many teenagers have so much trouble finding the time to get adequate sleep. I also think that, in addition to the shortage of time in a teenager's life, the increase in stress resulting from having so many activities and so much homework also plays a role in the difficulties some teenagers have in getting enough sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I wanna say that your background is driving my eyes insane( yes they have cognitive abilities that are falling apart bc of your background). Other then that I know that if I sleep more(5.5+ hours) I will wake up and feel more tired then if I had slept my normal 5.5 hours. As for increased extracurriculars I blame society, primarily, this new age idea that everyone MUST go to college. I'll leave the college subject there. just think about it. As another point I feel that if I actively tried in my classes(actually doing all my hw) I believe I could get the same amount of sleep as I do now and "soar" in my academics while balancing my extracurriculars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting article Eleni. A good one to have linked into your blog! As we discussed in class, sleep is incredibly important for helping manage stress of which you all have a lot. That being said - (even if we make Max happy and forget about college), learning to balance multiple activities is going to help you in life as you balance work, family, friends and your hobbies (no longer extra-curriculars). Part of that balance is making sleep more of a priority. I'm still working on it!
    On another note..don't do extra-curriculars just because they look good on college applications. Do them because you enjoy them, because you learn from them and because you make friends. These eill make them more enjoyable, and less stressful. If they look good on a college application - thats a bonus!

    Max, I am glad you recognize your abilities to "soar" academically.

    ReplyDelete